Videos & data referred to in the leaflet
A Message of Concern for Ireland
Replying to Deputy Aindrias Moynihan in Dáil Éireann, An Taoiseach, Leo Varadkar stated he would seek advice from the Chief Medical Officer regarding “an increase in excess deaths this winter relative to other winters”
Deputy Mattie McGrath asked An Taoiseach, Leo Varadkar, for a public debate on, and investigation into, excess deaths. In his reply the Taoiseach said
“… excess deaths vary from year to year…”
“… look at the course of excess deaths over the last couple of years; there isn’t an increase.”
General Register Office Deaths Data
See page number 20 and 21 of the 2022 Annual Report of the General Register Office (link here).
Parliamentary Questions in Dáil Éireann
We found at least 15 formal Parliamentary Questions in Dáil Éireann by elected TD’s requesting information on excess deaths from as far back as June 2020.
- Matt Carthy TD, Questions (528), 23rd June 2020
- Mattie McGrath TD, Questions (1781), 21st April 2021
- Mattie McGrath TD, Questions (138) , 21st April 2021
- Mattie McGrath TD, Questions (36), 13th July 2021
- Marian Harkin TD, Questions (454), 4th May 2022
- Emer Higgins TD, Questions (1239,) 8th November 2022
- Willie O’Dea TD, Questions (1626), 18th January 2023
- Peadar Tóibín TD, Questions (215), 1st February 2023
- Peadar Tóibín TD, Questions (713), 2nd February 2023
- Duncan Smith TD, QuestionS (435), 8th February 2023
- Peadar Tóibín TD, Questions (375), 8th February 2023
- Duncan Smith TD, Questions (435), 21st February 2023
- Fergus O’Dowd TD, Questions (289), 2nd March 2023
- Mattie McGrath TD, Questions (763), 23rd May 2023
- Peadar Tóibín TD, Questions (650), 11th July 2023
In many of the replies to the TD’s Stephen Donnelly, stated that: –
“the Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC) has monitored excess mortality in Ireland since 2009, using registered deaths data reported to HPSC on a daily basis from the General Register Office (GRO)”.
However, the Minister failed to disclose to the TD’s asking the questions, and to the Irish citizens who he is responsible to, that the GRO figures indicated a huge number of excess deaths – and these excess deaths are clearly evident in the data published in the GRO Annual reports.